Can I buy in St. George before selling my house up north?
Usually yes, and there are several ways to structure it. The real question is not whether you can, but whether you can carry both houses if the first one takes longer to sell than you expect. Your answer to that determines which approach fits — and it is a lending question first, which is why you resolve it before you tour anything.
Usually yes. There are several ways to do it, and which one fits depends almost entirely on one question: what happens if your northern Utah house takes longer to sell than you expect?
That question, not the house you pick, is the biggest financial decision in this move. It is worth answering before you start looking at listings in Washington County.
Why the order matters so much
Every version of this move has the same tension. You want to choose your St. George home calmly, without a deadline pushing you. You also do not want to own two houses any longer than necessary.
You cannot fully have both. What you can do is decide, deliberately, which risk you would rather carry — and then structure the move around that choice instead of discovering it under pressure.
I have watched people do this well and I have watched people do it badly. The difference was almost never the market. It was whether they had answered this question before they needed to.
The approaches, honestly
Sell first, then buy. The safest financially and the least comfortable practically. You know exactly what you have, you buy without contingencies, and you are a strong buyer. The cost is that you may need somewhere to live in between.
For many people that gap is genuinely fine — and renting in St. George for a few months has a second benefit, which is that you get to test the city before you commit to a neighborhood in it. I recommend this more often than people expect.
Buy first, then sell. The most comfortable practically and the most exposed financially. You move once, you choose calmly, and you are not living out of boxes. The exposure is the period where you owe on two properties.
This works well for households who can genuinely carry both for a stretch. It goes badly for households who assumed the first house would sell in days.
A contingent offer. Your purchase depends on your sale closing. It removes the double-carry risk, and it makes your offer weaker — how much weaker depends entirely on the market and the seller. In competitive situations, a contingent offer can be the thing that loses you the house.
Bridge financing. Borrowing against the equity in your current home to fund the purchase before it sells. It exists, it solves the timing problem, and it costs something. Whether it makes sense is a conversation for a lender who can look at your actual numbers, not something I would decide for you here.
Simultaneous closing. Both transactions close on the same day. It is elegant when it works and it requires real coordination between two sets of agents, lenders and title companies across two markets.
The step that comes first
Talk to a lender before you tour anything.
Not because you need a loan approval to look at houses, but because the lender’s answer determines which of the approaches above is actually available to you. Whether you can carry two payments, whether bridge financing is realistic, what a contingent purchase does to your position — those are lending questions, and guessing at them is how people end up committed to a plan that will not work.
An hour with a lender at the start saves a great deal of trouble later. It is the single highest-value hour in the whole process.
The number that anchors everything
Before any of this, you need a realistic read on what your northern Utah house is actually worth today, and what it converts into down here.
Not a general sense. Not what your neighbor got two years ago. What your equity actually buys in Washington County is the number the entire plan rests on, and it is specific to your address.
That is what the Buying Power Report is for — it runs the conversion on your actual home rather than on a regional average. If you are seriously considering this move, that is where I would start.
The mistake I see most
People fall in love with a specific St. George house before they have resolved any of the above. Before the sequencing, it is worth being certain about the destination, and what moving from Salt Lake City to St. George actually changes is the place to start.
Then the plan gets built backward: how do we get this house, rather than what structure fits our situation. That is when people accept terms they would not otherwise accept, or carry risk they cannot comfortably carry.
The order that works is: understand your equity, talk to a lender, choose your approach, then look at houses. It is less romantic and it is considerably cheaper.
If you are not sure which city yet
Then buying first is a harder argument to make.
Washington County is not one market. St. George, Washington City, Hurricane, Ivins and Santa Clara are genuinely different places with different trade-offs, and committing to a house before you have decided which one fits you is how people end up selling again in two years.
If you cannot name the city and the neighborhood without hedging, that is a strong argument for selling first and renting while you work it out. Start with the city rather than the house.
Getting the net figure first
Before any of these options makes sense, you need one number: what your northern house actually nets you.
Not its value, and not its equity. The net, after payoff including interest to the day it is paid, commission, title and escrow, recording, prorated property taxes and any concessions. What you actually walk away with goes through every line, and it is reliably less than owners expect.
That figure is your down payment, and a plan built on equity rather than net proceeds is a plan that comes up short at the worst moment. Get it before you fall for a house down here, not after.
What your northern house actually buys in St. George is the comparison worth running once you have it.
The question your lender has to answer
Whichever route you take, how a lender treats your existing property decides what is possible.
Ask specifically, before you write an offer, how they would handle you carrying two mortgages, what they need to see, and whether a signed lease on the northern house would change their view. Do not assume — the answer varies by product and by lender, and it is frequently less generous than buyers expect.
If you are considering keeping the northern house rather than selling it, that deserves its own honest look. The test is simple: would you buy that house today, at today’s value, as an investment? If not, you do not want a rental — you want to avoid a decision.
The sequencing risk nobody prices
The gap between two closings is the real risk here, not the price of either house.
Sell first and you know your number but may need somewhere to live. Buy first and you are carrying two properties, possibly through a slow stretch. Whether to sell first or buy first weighs that, and the honest options for bridging it are worth understanding before you need them.
Whatever you choose, choose it deliberately. The households that struggle are the ones who drifted into carrying two houses without having decided to.
What to do next
Answer the carry question honestly: could you comfortably hold both houses for several months if you had to? Your answer points at your approach.
Then get a real read on your current home’s value, and talk to a lender before you tour anything.
If you want help sequencing this properly — including what a St. George offer looks like from a buyer who has not sold yet — that is exactly the conversation to have early. And if the thing you are actually worried about is ending up between houses, I have written about that specifically.
— Kelsey Earl, Realtor, Keller Williams South Valley
Let's talk it through.
Call or text me at 801-419-8917, or email [email protected]. I look forward to chatting with you.
Get in touch Kelsey Earl, Realtor®
Keller Williams South Valley
801-419-8917
·
[email protected]